Monday, April 21, 2014

Using Marriott Stays to get TrueBlue Points

Stay at Marriott & Earn TrueBlue Points

When I took a trip earlier this month upstate, I decided it might be a good time to finally set my Marriott rewards to redeem towards a few TrueBlue points. Marriott allows you to choose whether you want to earn bonus Marriott points for your account or in other reward programs. With the Marriott card from chase, you earn 5x points for Marriott hotel stays.


But, Things Don't Always Go As Planned...


Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my Marriott card with me, so I can provide some insight into the straight through transfer without any additional bonuses. Had I been on top of things, I would have been able to earn 850 TrueBlue points, or almost 20% of the points needed for a free flight. A couple of hotel stays at nicer locations could quickly net the 5,000 TrueBlue points that one way domestic flights start at. But I messed up - I didn't bring my Marriott card in my wallet. So my $170 trip to the Marriott ended up only giving my a sad 76 TrueBlue miles. 

Only 76 TrueBlue points :(

Had I had my Marriott, or even JetBlue by Amex card with me, I could've easily had hundreds more points than this. 

At Least I Got a Badge


On the plus side, I at least got the More the Marriott badge. While the badge itself doesn't give points, you have to be earning (at least a few) points to get the badge, so it's not a bad bonus. I was able to use this badge to push me over to level six and bring my overall badge rank well below 800!

So Remember


Even if you make a reservation with your Marriott or JetBlue by Amex card at a Marriott hotel, you still need to check out with it to get bonus points! And don't forget to set the earnings preferences in your Marriott account before your stay to ensure that the points are transferred to TrueBlue. Marriott does not offer any way to transfer or exchange Marriott points for TrueBlue points or vice versa. 


 - John



No comments:

Post a Comment