Monday, May 5, 2014

True Blue Points for Mother's Day


Limited 1-800 Flowers Promotion

Good until 5/12/14, you can earn 30 TrueBlue points for every dollar spent on their site. As I mentioned before, this is a much better deal than the 20pt/dollar FTD partnership that was previously available.


I actually used the FTD program to get some TrueBlue points for Valentine's day, but for the third time in a row FTD messed up my flowers - they delivered the completely wrong bouquet and only offered me 10% refund to make the mistake right. Needless to say I wasn't pleased.

I don't have any experience with 1-800 Flowers, but they've been a long time player in the flower market. I've decided to use them for Mother's Day, hoping to have a better experience and get a few extra TrueBlue points on the side.


Excelling Over FTD


What was great to find out about 1-800 Flowers is they have some really great gift options. I ultimately decided to send my mother chocolates - something that's far harder to mess up than a bouquet of flowers. I'm still playing it safe!



The ones I selected are called the Harry London® Mother's Day Truffles. For $24.99, they don't feel as ridiculously overpriced as some of the flowers do and feature free shipping that's still available on either Friday 5/9 or Monday 5/12. This is a welcomed change of pace when flowers usually have $15-$20 extra added for shipping that isn't even reliable much of the time.

Since there are no TrueBlue points earned on taxes or shipping costs, it also is encouraging that the more you spend on the actual product, the more points you'll receive as well. It's the way things should be! Even better yet, the TrueBlue code you enter to receive your points includes 10% off your purchase! That brought mine down to the ~$23 range in total.


The Final Haul


Ultimately I'll be reaping just under 700 TrueBlue points for a small purchase during the holiday season. The promotion ends May 12, so it's not a bad idea to take advantage of this while it's still available. I'll be getting about 15% of the points needed for a domestic rewards flight (5,000 points) but you could easily be getting a lot more if you purchase even a marginally more expensive item.

If I had used my JetBlue by Amex card, I would've gotten an additional 23 points on top - but I opted to use the Barclay Arrival since it earns 2x points for all purchases. This will translate to better rewards per dollar eventually.

There's no badge for this, unlike the FTD partnership, but I think I'd rather have the extra 10 points/$ anyday. Maybe it's easy to say when you already have the FTD badge, but this is one of the most lucrative methods for earning TrueBlue points that is out there right now.

 - John





No comments:

Post a Comment